The Graveyard at St.
The graveyard adjacent to St. Tida's Church has been in use at least as far back as the
early 1700's according to our records. It is the graveyard used predominately, but not exclusively, by
the local protestant community. Originally these would all have been St Tida's church members. Then other
denominations such as the Presbyterians, the Baptists, etc. became locally established. These people who
would have had some links with St. Tida's, would have been able consequently to purchase family and
single plots. This practice continued until recently when the available space has been almost completely
There is an interestingly inscribed vault formerly used by
the Downing family, located near the
pathway to the church.
World History is here
There are gravestones and memorials here which relate to
the Battle of the Boyne,
the Siege of Derry,
the Slaughter at the Somme,
the Gallipoli campaign,
the sea-battle of Trafalgar,
the Evacuation of Dunkirk,
the relatively recent IRA terrorist onslaught and indeed
all the 'four quarters of the globe'.
Visitors are welcome to look around the graveyard at any time - Just remember to maintain
the normal codes of conduct and decorum whilst therein.
Photographs, inscriptions and other details of individual grave plots can
also sometimes be arranged for sending overseas.
See also ... http://www.discovereverafter.com/map/31/bellaghy-st-tidas-church-of-ireland
No burials, or work of any kind whatsoever to monuments or grave
surrounds is permitted without the prior consent of the Parish
Print this page